Scale & Polish
A scale & polish is a thorough clean to remove plaque & calculus (hardened plaque).This makes home cleaning of the teeth & gums much more effective and can eliminate gum disease
Why should I have a scale and polish?
Most people do not completely remove all of the food debris which accumulates on their teeth. This debris is quickly converted to plaque. Plaque is a soft mixture of food and bacteria. Recent plaque causes tooth decay, whereas older and established plaque causes periodontal (gum) disease.
Over time plaque becomes very hard and impossible to brush away with a toothbrush. It forms a chalky layer on the teeth called calculus (tartar). The porous surface of the calculus provides an excellent home for more bacteria. The bacteria become progressively more aggressive over time and start to destroy the attachment between the tooth and the gum. This is called periodontal disease.
Regular professional cleaning with a dentist or hygienist with good home care will treat and prevent periodontal disease.
Most patients need to have a professional clean to remove plaque and calculus at least every 6 months.
Regular treatment takes about 30 minutes.
- If you do nothing else, brush for at least 3 minutes twice per day with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Try to practice regular cleaning between the teetrh with small brushes or floss.
- If you smoke, do your very best to reduce your tobacco intake. Try to quit. The links between smoking, gum disease and oral cancer are clear.
- Avoid sugary snacks and drinks
- Avoid frequent carbonated drinks. They have a low pH and the acidity will erode teeth.
- Avoid frequent citrus drinks.
- If you wear a denture, make sure you clean it with soap and warm water (not toothpaste) and remove it for disinfection throughout the night.